Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Digital Divide/Digital Inequality

Beginning my journey through this program has been an interesting experience thus far.  Sometimes it is difficult to tell if my profession is leading my education, or if it is the other way around. Regardless, I continue to find their relationship serendipitous and mutually beneficial.

There have recently been changes within the leadership of my district. Two out of five seats changed on the school board and greatly altered the dynamic.  One of their first tasks was negotiating a separation agreement with the superintendent.

I feel technology use in the schools has gained a higher profile. I think this is good. We are updating policy and working to do a better job communicating with parents. Digital citizenship integration with curriculum and digital skills for the community overall have garnered more attention. As you can see from my presentation, this has impacted my view of priorities in my position.

In examining the literature around digital divide and digital inequality, I received a wake-up call. I am inundated with information about technology and our society in my Twitter feed all day long. You would think that I know this better. There is something different, though, when you are collecting information from people you know, rather than relying on statistics collected on larger scale. This project forced me to take a closer look at issues students are dealing with and impacting district technology initiatives. I am now in a better position to take ownership of the data and the direction of these initiatives.


VoiceThread Presentation
Google Presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment